Friday, January 13, 2017

Tanka wears his bareback pad





Tanka Update. LOL
Yes, I update frequently because he and I are so new together and we are learning so many new things.
Today Tanka was kind of impatient. I walked to the back fence to see where the dogs are getting out.
He also was easily distracted. I tried to be aware and not come down on him while insisting he refocus on us walking together.
Then I put him in the round pen while I filled the hole and grabbed the bareback pad.
I had him go around a few times, turn, walk, turn, walk, turn trot, turn canter. Just to warm us up.
I got his halter back on and asked him to step a bit here and there, back and forwards.
Decided no time like right now to get the saddle pad, show it to him, desensitize just a bit and then, turned and put it on him like it weren't nothing.
I managed to get the strap where it was easily reachable [score one for me} I carefully reached under and caught the strap. I figured out the D-ring system again [What is it about gear that makes it seem confusing?}
Pulled the strap up a bit, then a bit more. I wanted it tight enough that it didn't come off him if he went a little hog wild.
I took the halter off and got out of the pen. He looked worried, he looked at the pad a number of times while I relaxed in a chair. He moved around a bit. We talked through the fence and he moved around a bit more. I left to see if I still had three dogs and when I came back he was eating from his hay pile.
I decided what the heck, got in the pen and asked him to turn and walk, turn and walk. That went good so I asked him to turn and trot, turn, trot.
Finally, I did have trouble getting him to lower his head for the halter at quitting time. So we worked on that a bit. Finally decided we had improved and the halter was on so I asked him to hold still. I got the strap loose, told him it was going to drop, pulled the pad off and ended on a good note with a carrot.
I'm so pleased. A strap around his middle and no fireworks. He maybe wasn't wanting to work today but he did do some work today. Very nice.
I left him out in the round pen with some hay and water so he can watch cars go by. Later this afternoon, if I can, I want to work with him again on desensitzing and such. Or maybe we will go for a walk on the quiet street.

No comments:

Post a Comment