Thursday, November 2, 2017




Team Tucker is back to riding.
Tucker's antibiotics seem to be doing him a lot of good.
I did some more groundwork while he was healing up this week. I think it is helping the respect portion of our relationship.
I am trying the bitless bridle since apparently his tooth will take months to grow out.
The picture is the side pull bridle on Tucker. I ended up using parts of his old bridle to make it work a little better for him. I tried it out and it is working pretty good.
He was very unhappy to try it a couple of days ago so I did some baby steps. I had him touch it and gave him some apple. Then I got him to let me start to put it on and and when he held still I gave him some apple. Then I got it on him and gave him some apple.
I wrapped the rope noseband with vet wrap since he seems to be a thin skinned guy 
Day 2 I actually got it on him several times but had to do a lot of taking it off and adjusting it. I finally used some of my parts to make it fit him a little better. I tested it from the ground and he backed and yielded his head to me from each side.
Today, I saddled and bridled him and rode him briefly in the home pen. I think it is working fine.
I did have to hold his nose a bit to keep him from bobbing his head up and down. Once he figured out there really is no bit to hurt him, he did better.
Unfortunately, we had so much to do and so much stuff left to pick up from what we had to do on projects that I couldn't get him out of the pen.
I did manage to walk and turn by neck reining. Turn hind and fore by two reining. I also convinced him to sidepass. Pretty proud of that  Head down was not very good so I will have to work on that. I did whoa with my weight shift and voice so I didn't use the bridle for that.
Tomorrow is really windy according to the weather but I will update on how he is doing when I am able to ride him again.
I threw in an action shot of me getting on Tucker  I am more athletic than I used to be  This horse riding is getting me into better shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment