Friday, November 3, 2017

crow hop

Team Tucker was challenged today.
Tucker went on high alert when Hubby started the chainsaw. I took the bridle off and left Tucker in the pen with his saddle on while I went to see what Hubby was up to.
I got the bitless bridle back on him but he was being a handful and wouldn't stand for the mounting block in the back area I walked him out front to the mounting block in the circular driveway. I got mounted.
He was saying he wanted to go back to his friends so I tightly circled him and I kept tightly circling him every time he tried to turn to his friends.
I drove him forwards when we were headed the way I wanted to go.
We did that for awhile. He would trot when he thought we were headed towards the pen so I circled him. I walked him when we were headed away from the driveway back to the pen.
I tried very hard not to be heavy handed but it was tough when he was being a turd.
I took him through the desert behind the garage and he sped up when he thought we might be headed to his home pen. I turned him away and I had him circle tightly a number of times when he was getting out of hand.
We got into the back area. He was being a bit of a handful but we were succeeding. He stepped in a gopher hole in the sand. Here's where it gets interesting!
Tucker crow hopped! I remembered to press down on the horn and not panic!
I did not come off.
I got him moving forwards again.
On the way back towards the home pen I had him stop, back, step, stop, back, step, for about 100 feet.
Was today a success? I am not sure but we did overcome some obstacles and I did do good at not panicking and I did persevere. I guess that counts for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment