Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Lesson

Team Tucker
I'll keep it short and sweet today.
I did maybe thirty minutes of ground work this morning...max. Groundwork is paying off. Tucker has decided I am worth listening to.
This afternoon I got a lesson with Brownie the Wonderhorse and his owner. We kept it a reasonable length of one hour.
I relearned the bending the horse part of pole bending.
I did successful side passes.
Gotta tilt the head away from the direction of motion and then lift the shoulder using the rein on the side you want to move. Leg off on the movement side. Heel in the ribs and leave it there until some action occurs. Don't nag with a kick.kick, kick.
Worked on standing the trot. Honestly, I did better the other day but maybe having someone here was causing me to have split focus. It's okay. I get to keep trying.
Did head down in the new side pull bridle. That one really did seem different to Tucker than with his snaffle bit but today was a success. Got him to back while collected.
Tucker is standing at the patience pole hollering for his dinner. Guess I will wait a little longer before going back out.
The sweet smell of victory with ground work this morning and the lesson this evening.
Tucker is still barn sour so when Brownie isn't here, we will work on that. I'm going to work him on the ground in the pen tomorrow and then walk him out to relax. We are going to do that until he settles down outside the pen !
Thank you everyone for your encouragement. You guys are right. Tucker and I are doing pretty good. We will keep working at this thing called riding and horsemanship and learning from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment