Friday, November 24, 2017

Tucker and Pony together for the first time





Team Tucker
Right after breakfast I put Pony Baloney and Tucker in the big pen together. Their first time. It was interesting to watch Pony trying to get Tucker's goat and then Tucker squealing and grunting like "don't do it!" Tucker threatened some kicks but didn't try to land them. He also stomped at the Pony. They did okay. They did not gallop around which I would have liked  Maybe next time.
My cowboy uncle and my trainer both think Tucker is yanking my chain and I have to agree with them.
Today, my trainer came over and we worked on Liz stepping up the game. I ask, I tell. Also, more sustained jogs and trots.
We worked in the home pen for quite awhile. Lots of sitting the jog, standing to trot, sitting the jog, standing to trot. More body, less reins which is something I want.
I got a long thin piece of leather and when Tucker decided he didn't want to go faster, he got a little smack on the butt. That actually takes some confidence on my part that I can handle the speedier reactions of the horse 
Then, we went out to the 100'x100' pen.
He didn't want to trot in a straight line, go around the bin and then trot in a straight line and go around the barrel.
Trainer says "He is in control here." I said, "That is for sure true."
He was more unmanageable in the big pen but we over came that by trotting through the shrubbery like it was cones.
Turn, left, turn right, turn left, keep jogging and turning and jogging and turning. No, Tucker did not want to do that but we did it anyway. I am doing better at the jog and the trot. And at being firmer.
I think my trainer took the fact that Tucker spaces off into the distance more to heart today because she noticed him not paying attention. She said "Get him moving and turning and listening to you. He isn't paying attention."
Tucker gave a big holler to his friends and I said "Get to trotting buddy. There's no time to be buddy sour".
In the end, all we had wanted was for Tucker to trot in a straight line, turn around the orange bin and trot in a straight line back. He did it and we were done for the day.
That was a good 1 hour and 15 minutes of pure lesson and learning. Of course, we did take a short break here and there.
When we left the pen, I had Tucker do a little bending around the poles in the obstacle course. Then, I got off him and walked him back to his pen on the ground. I'm changing up how and where we get off and on. Getting his mind to be a little more flexible.
I so want to up my game on the riding and today, I did better at riding faster and still doing turns. I am very happy.
I know I am upping my game and I know that will help Tucker pay attention. He is seeing I am not a pushover. I'm not mean but I am getting the skills I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment