Saturday, November 4, 2017

Groundwork is improving

Team Tucker
Tucker is giving me his "Yes, ma'am" look. I ask him to move it. Then I tell him to move it. Then I mean it. Finally I really mean it. I haven't had to really mean it for several days. It only took getting a firm smack with the flag twice in a couple of days to get him to think of me differently...like he might want to listen to what I am saying. Instead of completely tuning me out.
I started the day by feeding with a flag. First the good food. I asked him to back. I did not accept the lazy back he gave me and told him to back. I then waved the flag and said "BACK". He did. I gave him the eye when he tried to creep forward. He stopped.
Then the hay. I said "Move it" tap, tap, tap. "MOVE IT" TAP, TAP,TAP. Grabbed the closest thing which was a halter "MOVE IT" Tap, tap, tap....now he is realizing that if I go to the next level he is getting smacked firmly with what is in my hand. He decided his better option was to move over like I asked. I then had him move out of my space to throw the hay.
Today, after his breakfast, I didn't have a lot of time so I did ground work in his home pen. I asked him to walk around me on the lead line. Back. Turn fore, turn hind. I mixed it up some.
I also picked up his feet and cleaned them. He held still and said "Yes, ma'am" for that as well.
His scratches are really improving still and I hope they will be completely gone soon.
I was strict on when I say move it....MOVE IT.
I am making sure I ask, tell, mean it, really mean it.
Before I left to go to town, I asked him to move it away from the food and he backed out of the way and said "Yes, ma'am."
I'll be feeding with a flag again tonight and I will expect my space to be sacrosanct.
I am remembering that sometimes you have to give the horse a reason to listen...within the boundaries of fairness and remembering those releases. Like Carson says...there is a real responsibility to be working at the horses level of training.
Three more days of vacation left. My goal is to work with Tucker every day that I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment