Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Confidence

When do you start trusting your own skills as a horseman? I think I need to start now 
My Uncle Cal was here and he is a good horseman. He is 73 years old and riding all his life. We have talked on the phone. He understands all about pressure and release.
Now, several other people have told me that I am doing great. Sometimes telling me I need to trust my instincts with my horse.
Yet, it is hard to be a beginner. I am the type of person that knows she doesn't know.
Back to Uncle Cal. He was so impressed by where I am at. He said from talking to me on the phone, he thought I was a total beginner but from watching me work with Tucker and ride Tucker , I am way ahead of what he thought I would be.
I tacked up Tucker and got him to ground tie. He threw in a pointer here and there as I was brushing, tacking up and cleaning feet. I enjoyed that.
I walked up to the mounting block and Tucker lined right up and took one step when asked. Uncle Cal was impressed and I said, "I taught him that," with a big smile on my face. I am proud of that.
"Do you want me to open the gate?" he says. "No, Tucker and I can do that." We side passed to open the gate. "Wow, I'm impressed."
Uncle Cal watched me ride Tucker at a walk in the circular drive and he thought I was doing a great job. Maybe a little stiff in the shoulders. But way ahead of where he thought I would be in only 5 months.
Tucker and I trotted a bit and Uncle Cal thought we did fine at that. Then, Tucker and I were coming around, Tucker tripped pretty badly forwards and then Tucker did a couple of bucks headed towards where Uncle Cal was sitting.
"Well, you did really good with that and just following where the horse went. You got a little stiff at the end."
I bet I did since I lost my right stirrup and my thigh was up on the horn. I did not jerk on the reins. I did not look panicked. I sat on my horse and we talked calmly about what just happened.
He was very impressed that I didn't look panicked or wasn't screaming or crying  "How did it feel." "It was a little scary, Uncle Cal, but I stayed on." I gave him a big grin.
"It was like he got stung by a bee but it is winter and there are no bees." I told him I think it is the saddle. I have had little problems and I have bought 4 saddle pads and a blanket trying to make this saddle work out. I am done with this saddle."
I walked Tucker around the driveway, into the home pen, dismounted and took his saddle off.
Here is what Uncle Cal told me. "I think you should have confidence in yourself. You are doing fantastic. Don't listen to other people, listen to yourself. Yes, learn from other people but do what you think is right for you and your horse because you are doing just fine."
I do have to thank Carson James Rhodenizer for teaching me so much.
And some of the people in this group have helped me so much. Their encouragement has meant the world to me.
That saddle is never going on Tucker again and I will be purchasing another saddle.
Tucker is a good horse. I have been saying for awhile the saddle is pinching him. I have bought pad after pad because people were saying that the saddle wasn't pinching him but I knew something was wrong.
It is time for me to spread my wings and have more confidence in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment