Friday, October 20, 2017

4 months of riding

I have been riding almost exactly 4 months now. I have learned a lot in 4 months but looking back I am amazed at what I have accomplished.
One of the accomplishments is learning to do some things my way. No matter how much experience some of your friends and acquaintances have, horse handling has to be working for you 
Groundwork really is an important aspect of horse riding  it establishes a baseline for your relationship for one thing. Hey, who's making who move their feet? The horse also learns to learn.
I have learned to saddle. I have some idea what I want when I go to buy equipment like saddles and girths and bridles.
I have figured out what rein management is even if I am not always getting it right. I'll keep working on it. I am starting to understand seat and legs and reins and putting it all together. I am getting lighter in my touch.
Tucker and I have been to a group ride, can ride out alone and even done a trail trial.
I can jog on the horse and even trot some. Posting is still a challenge.
I personally taught Tucker new things like standing at a mounting block. I'm pretty sure he has never done trail trials obstacles before. How cool is that? I taught an experienced horse something new! We are stretching to do new obstacles like the teeter totter.
I have learned, at least some, when and how to firm up and how to let off and release.
I am learning to slow down. Relax between obstacles. Stand for a bit after doing something with him like backing or getting the turn I asked for. Breathe a little before moving on to the next thing.
I am getting a sense of being in the saddle. What it feels like to move on top of a horse. I still occasionally feel like "Where is the seat belt?" This is a high and dangerous perch  My comfort level of being in the saddle is going up and up. It is starting to feel natural.
I have learned that Tucker likes to go cross country and I think we will do more of that. I have lots of wide open spaces out here.
I have developed confidence in Tucker. He really is sane and stable and isn't going to try to kill me somehow! Also, I have confidence that if I get my part right, Tucker will do his part. Yes, he was getting pushy but by taking the time to ask and then tell, he has backed off and decided I am a good leader. In fact, I am becoming the leader he needs and it shows.
I am thrilled that I took up riding even though I am an out of shape, 58 year old woman who has to control her fear sometimes.
I am very fortunate to own Tucker. We have a ways to go on some levels but it has been quite the ride so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment