Sunday, October 15, 2017

Tucker tries me

Team Tucker is finally starting up again. This cold knocked me on my butt plus the whole month of October has been being sick or being way too busy with working.
Today I finally felt a bit better.
Earlier today I asked him to move over. He kept eating. I got a stick and asked him to move over with a light tap,tap, tap. He totally ignored me and kept eating. Then a medium tap, tap, tap..get over. Kept eating. Then a loud "Get over" and a smack on the hip. He stepped over!
I went out this evening to talk to Tucker who acted like I am going to bite you. I smacked him on the shoulder and shouted.
Then I walked him out to the round pen for some ground work!
The round pen is a bit small for him but I needed to get some action going here where I could reach out and touch someone if I needed to.
This horse really does not think he has to pay attention to me!
I got him going in the round pen. He insisted on running so fine...run, baby, run. He is a bit of a tangle foot and he kept running anyway.
I had to work on the stop and turn portion. Eventually he decided that a trot was a better speed. We worked on stop and turn off the lead. When he got feisty towards me, I feistied right back at him with the flag.
After awhile, the ya yas worked out some, I put a lead on him and worked on walk a bit, whoa, turn. Well, he decided he didn't want to whoa. So, I decided to lean on that lead until I got a stop with two eyes facing me! We did that in both directions a number of times.
I got on him for crowding me when he turned and walked in the other direction. "Get off me"
I think the respect aspect of our relationship absolutely needs work. I did have his attention much better at the end of our day than at the beginning of our day. He is standing at the hitching post wondering if I am ever going to feed him.
I will feed him but he will have to stay back until I allow him to get his food!
Somehow, Tucker and I are getting off track but I know I can get this choo choo back on the tracks. Having a horse isn't all rainbows and lollipops.
I looked it up. The last real work I have done with Tucker is 13 days ago. Sometimes life gets in the way, darn it.
PS - Yep, I went to untie him from the hitching post to wrap up feeding and put everyone to bed. I said "get over" and he did! I had him do a send to the left at a gentle prod he did a gentle walk. A turn and send to the right at a gentle walk and he did it. I did head down and he didn't want to  But then he did do it and I let him off the halter even though it was an impatient head down

No comments:

Post a Comment