Thursday, October 5, 2017

Rough patch



Team Tucker is hitting a bit of a rough patch.
I feel badly about Tucker's scratches trying to come back. I have had the 10 days of work and work and work and wasn't paying enough attention.
Looks like Tucker has the scratches returning on his near hind. The skin was cracked open and it is bothering him a bit. I tried putting zinc oxide cream on it but he didn't like me touching it so I switched to vetricyn which I can spray on. He doesn't seem to be actually lame and I don't feel any heat at his joints.
I am using a little toothbrush for dogs to try to get the scales off his hind feet.
On top of that, I feel like Tucker has a bit of rain rot. I know, it is a desert and my friend doesn't think so but he is loosing a little hair, he was getting really bug bit this summer and he has some small spots of missing hair. He also doesn't look super shiny. I decided to brush him and spray 50% listerine on him for a week and see what happens. I may see if I can get a small bottle of MTG to try on him at Tractor Supply.
This may curtail my camping trip this weekend since Tucker isn't really able to be ridden with his foot.
In addition, I believe that Tucker does not view me as a strong leader. I am working on being firm without yanking. Today, I took him out to the big pen and when he bent to get some grass I made sure I let him run into pressure and not yank on his face.
I used a flag today to walk him out. I am using a flag every feeding now to emphasize that he is not to crowd me when I have food. I could just throw the food over the fence but that isn't teaching him anything.
I did a small amount of groundwork going to his big pen in the back. He crowded me so I stopped and used the flag to get him off me.
Also, once I got him into the pen I had him turn and walk, turn and walk on the lead. That went smoothly. I don't want to create a pinball horse but I do want him to pay attention ! I've been making sure he maintains his space using the respect exercises on the lead. I stop, he stops. He doesn't stop, back. He doesn't back when asked, he gets told, then the flag starts really waving after that. Release at the step back 
I want to make sure he is healthy. I want to make sure the respect for each other is being felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment