Saturday, February 17, 2018

What I know he knows






Day Two
What I know so far about my new horse, Sir Richard.
He knows what "Step" means.
He likes being brushed.
He will back off to get his food although I did have to pick up a stick for a longer reach towards him this morning. I am not making the mistake of allowing the horse to stand there being pushy when I want to throw hay.
He puts his nose right into the halter.
"Head down"
"Back"
"Give me your head" from the saddle.
Surprisingly, not super comfortable with me on the mounting block working him from above. Not terrible but not sure of it.
By the way, I told my old horse trainer that I have been taking a few lessons with a different horse trainer because the new trainer has different horses to ride on. I thought it was time to change it up a bit. I thought I might get a few more lessons from the new gal. I softened up the change by making sure she knows how impressed the new trainer is with what I have learned. She has said "Who ever has trained you has done good."
I fixed up his pen. The gate used to go in front of that tree and now it goes behind it meaning a much straighter line to open the gate from the horse. I put a 16' gate in as a panel so his pen is bigger too.
He tried to colic today or maybe he actually did. I went out and he looked incredibly sweaty and he had dirt all over him. I watched for a bit and decided to give him a little alfalfa. He ate it fine. I ran out and bought some wheat bran and made a call to the vet. She said the poopy poop means the event is probably over. Looks like he is fine now.
I didn't get to work with him today due to his stomach issues but he did help me realign and add panels. So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment