Sunday, February 25, 2018

First Ride

Sir Richard goes for a ride...and so do I.
We trailered to my trainers house. Really, I didn't want to be nervous but I was so nervous. The wind was trying to come up and I have never loaded this horse by myself before. I haven't driven my rig in quite some time. The trainer has like 10 dogs running around there [all really nice and good with the horses].
Plus, I was going to get on that horse and actually ride today 
I brushed Richard and cleaned his feet. I saddled him. Left him out back tied up while I finalized a couple of things. Loaded him up and took off.
I let him turn around and exit the trailer facing front.
First of all, the trainer and her hubby thought he was a great looking horse. Hubby said "He has a great mind."
The hubby was on an ATV. He turned it off and I asked him if Richard could come look at it. "Sure." Richard sniffed the ATV.
Really, all I really wanted to do today was ride at a walk. The trainer could tell that just from looking at me.  I just want to get to know Richard and we don't really know anything about him.
He did amazingly well especially when you consider he hasn't been ridden in a couple of years.
We worked on me holding the reins properly and walking in a circle. Hard to explain but there was work to do on my part. Richard tested me a bit but it was mild.
I did pretty good. I finally managed to loosen up a little. I didn't hang on the reins. I got the idea of tipping his nose and then letting off the pressure.
We did circles, stood patiently, backed, turned.
My saddle seems to fit well so that is great.
I actually have every confidence in Sir Richard but I do feel we need to take the time to get to know each other and I am learning new skills at the same time.
I love this horse. He and I are going to be a great team.
I loaded him up and carefully drove home. I asked him to back out of the trailer. He teetered on the edge hanging on by his toes but finally stepped down. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment