Sunday, February 18, 2018





Day Three with Sir Richard.
It's all about getting to know one another today and I enjoyed it immensely...and so did Richard .
I got the new bridle put together. I think it fit him well although we are on the last notch.
What the heck, why not throw the saddle on while I am messing around?
I tried a different blanket under the saddle. I think he liked the first one better.
I adjusted the girth of the saddle and he stood like a rock for the whole process. Such a good boy.
I removed his gear. He liked the bit so much he didn't want to give it back to me. Made me laugh. I snapped a pic.
He put his head into the halter willingly.
I did Task One of backing with a shake of the lead. By the time we were done he had a pretty good idea of what was expected. I asked him to come to me and that was a bit harder for him. He got the idea. Back, forward, back, forward. We are learning to work together.
I finished up with a stiff brushing to clean up his sweaty dirty self. Then a soft brush for the legs and knees and butt. Cleaned his feet. Put some hoof conditioner on the hooves.
I left his halter on while I ran into the house for a soft wet cloth to wipe his dirty face and eyes with.
When I went back out, he thought he was done and didn't want to come to me right away so I sent him around the pen. Unfortunately, his stall door was open so he finally dashed in there. Had to chuckle but I snapped on the lead, walked him out and wiped off his face. "Feels good, doesn't it, buddy?"
A lovely day of getting to know each other. A few kisses, a lot of "good job buddy", a few instances of hanging in there. A good time for all.
The wind is ripping so no lesson but I get to go on Friday. I will have some practice at backing up the trailer by then and I need it!
Photo of him all decked out and photo of him holding onto the bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment