Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Day 6 - Sir Richard
Ignore if you are tired of us. The first couple of weeks with a horse means a lot is happening. We are learning about one another.
I went out to get Sir Richard. I thought, why not tie him up to the blocker tie ring while I run in to get his eye ointment. He might have a bit of an eye infection in the corner of his eye. He stood like a gentleman the whole time.
I thought, "Hey, there's enough time to brush him." He likes the stiff brush. See, we are getting to know each other. He also likes to get brushed on the underside of his neck.
He moved when I went to get the hair brush so I backed him right back into place. I brushed his tail. Then I moved on to brushing out his mane. He looked so relaxed by the time I did his bangs. We did some soft kisses on his big hairy nose and the soft fuzz on the side of his muzzle.
I walked him out of the pen, asking him to back for me to open the gate. I made a left turn at the driveway and we went out to the front area. He sniffed the new platform I am building. We stood out there looking at all the new things and we both sighed and relaxed.
On the way to the back pen, I turned and we did the log step overs. Four fairly big logs that he stepped over without touching a single log!
Then, single line follow on the single track I built.
Stop, back between two greasewood shrubs. Step up. mule  Back, step up. Back, step up. I only had to get big once for him to pay attention on the back. Still a lot of hanging in there on the step up.
Did head down. Had to hang in there. We got it.
Lead with respect. Missed the stop, back up.
I could feel the peace of horse and owner. The bond that we are growing. The letting go of fear on my part [yes, I have fear]. It felt good and right and lovely.
All three horses are out back in the big pen today. We will have to bring them in after dark but I think we will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment