Monday, August 14, 2017

2 hours in the saddle

Team Tucker
Wow, 3 or so hours working with the horse.
Two solid hours of riding mostly on the streets but a bit of trail riding.
But first, we had to do some groundwork today. Tucker was moving around a lot when I was brushing him and putting his blanket on him. So off we went to the big arena pen.
I got him moving and boy can that horse run! We did that for several rounds. After he had blown off some steam, I put his halter back on him and worked on backing on the lead and respecting my space and paying attention to me.
Back into the home pen where Tucker was a real gentleman about getting saddled and bridled. I got on with only a couple of reminders to hold still. Rode out to the front, went around the circular driveway getting his attention by having him give me his head and turn.
Decided to check the saddle and made a few adjustments. Yes, I had to get off without a mounting block but I did arrange the mounting block to get back on again. Got off again and rechecked and got back on again. Tucker stood like a champ.
We rode out the gate with nary a problem and down the sandy road. Yes, he started to give me a tiny bit of trouble but I nipped that in the bud before it could get out of hand!
Decided to keep his attention by wiggling one rein until he straightened his head out. Pretty soon he wasn't looking around nearly as much.
Met Brownie and Karen on the road and went over 4 miles today.
I am sure that was my longest ride yet and my butt hurt bad. Plus, the muscles on my sides were starting to fuss at me towards the end. I am still looking for a better saddle. I think we will go to Reno to look later this week.
We went a mile or two then turned around, wove through the roads and then we got on my sandy road home.
Then we decided to turn back away from home and go the "long" way on the trail through the desert. Tucker did not want to turn back but I convinced him that I knew what I wanted and he should get with the program. "Give me your head."
About halfway, we separated with Brownie and Karen heading south and Tucker and I heading north. Tucker and I finished riding through the desert trail, back onto the sandy road, a photo between the ears and headed home again.
He was a little bit like you can't make me but I got him turned so that I could watch the automatic gate close, also got him to turn to close the home pen gate. Yep, he stood like a rock for the dismount. I clung to the saddle trying to get my legs to work, told him he had to help me down the steps [which he held like a rock for me]. We finished up and I went in for lunch and aspirin 

No comments:

Post a Comment