Saturday, August 19, 2017

New rider worries

Half of Team Tucker has beginner rider worries!
I bought some rommel reins which I will try out this evening. Ever since my trainer turned my reins into split reins instead of having them tied together, it has caused me problems!
I feel like I am constantly playing with those split reins to make sure they are even. She keeps saying "Are your reins even?" I don't know! I have no land mark. Then I am playing with the reins to move my hand up to turn. If I do one hand reining I have to check and see if the reins are even a lot.
On top of that, if you lead the horse by the lead rope, the split reins want to come off of the horse so you are having to watch. If you sit your horse to relax for a few minutes in the shade you have to make sure one rein isn't trying to get away from you.
My bridge is slithering around everywhere. Then, I am told I play with the reins too much...which I do, I am sure but they are constantly needing adjusting.
I am letting my nerves get to me today. I try hard but have a difficult time with a number of things.
I have the new saddle but I didn't have the new stirrups on yet so my toes weren't in very far in the stirrups since they were a bit small. Then, when I was trying to jog, I got to bouncing around like a rag doll. I would then not be steering the horse worth a darn. So, I would whoa the horse.
So, I start bouncing around like a rag doll while the horse is going wherever he wants and I am worried so I say "whoa". Then, the trainer says, "You aren't jogging" as she looks back from her horse. We do that about 5 times. It was honestly comical so I started laughing and I am afraid she thinks I am not taking this seriously enough 
With the rommel reins, there is a clear delineation of evenness due to the popper right in the middle. And they are a continuous loop so they can't get away!
Wish me luck, I am trying them out this evening. I am also going to experiment with shortening the stirrups just a little more. Once I get the better gear set up and a little practice, I should be able to do better at riding. The new saddle is much nicer to ride in but it is a change and change is hard.
Tonight, new saddle, new reins and Tucker has new feet. Maybe we will do great and if we don't, we are on our own, so we can just critique ourselves.

Update:   Thunderstorm was coming in so no riding.  I decided to shelve the rommel reins for now and buy a rope loop rein.  It's coming in the mail.  I will still be able to try the rommel reins or the split reins in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment