Monday, February 6, 2012

The Miniature Horse Can't Eat That????

Looks like I have to move a number of plants that the little horse will find toxic.

Yesterday I traded about 20 sand cherries from the back area for about 20 silver buffalo berries from the front area.    It seems that horses cannot eat any form of cherries.

I also moved two oak trees, although I left one in the corner where I figure it really won't be too near the new [purely imaginary, at this point] little horse.

I moved the thornless honey locust as well.  They are listed as toxic by some people.  I am trading them out with the hackberry trees in the front.  They are saying that horses should not eat Ponderosa pine trees.  I have a few small pines in the back pasture and I think I will simply move them and be done with it.

Oh, I also have a number of black locust which are very toxic so I am moving them to the front area.  I don't know if I will replace them or not.

For good measure I will be moving the purple robe locust from the back pasture.

I also have one sad looking black walnut that is getting moved again.  That poor thing has been in about three spots already.

That does leave me with the poplars, the staghorn sumacs, the Colorado spruce [which is really not doing that well.]  I started with 5 or 10 and I am down to one or two.  The Siberian elms and the one Chinese elm can stay.

My options are limited on trees with the idea of a pasture with a horse in it.  There will be a paddock with a shelter, too.  So, I think it is best to make sure all the toxic plants are well away from the new horse areas.

One other issue is the silver maples.  I am concerned that they are actually red maple or silver maple/red maple hybrids.  They never have looked right for silver maples.  Apparently red maple is extremely toxic to horses and wilted and dried leaves are especially toxic so those either have to get moved way up front or just taken out altogether.  They are probably seven feet tall so it is a shame to be messing with them but I just cannot take a chance on a super toxic tree being near the new little horse.

So, poisonous plants in my yard?  Plenty of them.  Yep, and most of them will be staying but they will all be moved to the front yard.  We will simply have a firm no letting the horse eat anything when he is out of his area rule.  He'll be tied up or on a lead or pulling a cart anyway since we have no plans to let the little goober wander around on his own.  It is simply impossible to get all the fruit trees, sand cherries, locusts and other toxic plants out of the yard.  We wouldn't have a yard left.

No comments:

Post a Comment