Monday, May 21, 2012

Eclipse

We had a full eclipse of the sun yesterday at 6:28 pm Pacific Daylight Savings Time.  I met Hubby at a location in Dayton so that we could see it together.  He had to work and wasn't going to be home in time to see this solar event with me.  I left early enough to go shopping since it is a 40 minute drive so I hate to get that near a store and not get a few groceries.  

Friday I decided not to get gas on the way home and I thought that, although I would be pretty low on gas, it wouldn't be an issue.  When I hopped into the truck to leave, I saw that the gas gauge was pretty low but when I got on the road it seemed really, really, really low so I had to drive to the four corners to get gas on my way out instead of taking the cutoff and buying gas on the highway just before Dayton. I probably added an extra ten miles to this trip. That'll teach me not to be lazy:)

Anyway, here are some not-really-great photos from the solar eclipse.



This one is a photo of  the shadow of the moon moving across the sun.  We set up a spotting scope as a small telescope and reflected the image onto a piece of paper.  Bearing in mind that one cannot look directly at the sun or the eclipse without eye protection.


This is a photo of the moon sitting right in the middle of the sun.  The moon is the darker part in the middle even though you have to look closely to see it.


We had a dark piece of welding lens with us and I got this photo by holding the dark glass over the camera lens.  Pretty awesome.

An event like this will not occur in our area again for 25 years and it was a thrill to witness this natural phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment