Thursday, September 14, 2017

Tucker and his new saddle pad


Team Tucker hasn't been in the saddle for about a week!
Tucker got his new saddle pad delivered last night. I went with the Reinsman, sway back, contour pad with the tackytoo backing in the 30"x30" size.
It has the approval of Tucker  I like that I have only one saddle pad instead of two saddle pads or a saddle pad/blanket combo. Much easier to deal with when removing the saddle.
I also got 1/2 way notches for my stirrups and as I suspected, halfway is just right for my knees, my hips and my sense of balance.
I did take Tucker out to the big pen and have him do some running in a big circle to get him wanting some air before working with him. After all it had been a week off. I also asked, told, demanded on the turning the fore and turning the hind and stopping when I stop on the lead. I think I was doing pretty good after reviewing one of the Carson James respect videos earlier in the day.
Later, I got a lesson on Tucker from the neighbor after working on my set up with the saddle and stirrups.. Tucker wanted to follow her and/or go to the gate so I had some challenges today both in the round pen and the big pen.
Tucker and I did jog in the big pen and even though we were jogging kind of sideways when we were near the gate because that little booger wanted to get to that gate!, there was no sign that anything was pinching him.
I got a stick to wave on the side towards his butt and he could see it and decided to keep going when near the gate or the neighbor.
I have to teach myself not to be so high headed [that's just natural for me] bring my chin down and watch where the horse is going.
One idea the trainer had was get out of the saddle and walk Tucker out the gate. I am limber enough to do that without a mounting block now 
Tucker looked really content by the time we wrapped it up. He came and stood near me on the fence. I remembered I had some watermelon for him so he got a treat. The weather is cooler and I am looking forward to my fall season.

No comments:

Post a Comment