Thursday, September 7, 2017

Rough patch



Team Tucker is going through a rough patch. Nothing too major but a rough patch none-the-less.
So, today I decided to take Tucker out and let him graze on our meager grasses and then had him go to the big pen.
I worked kind effectively on watching me and not getting into my space, I think. I did rather poorly on getting him to move out in a circle using the flag.
I let it go and gave him some hay and hoped a change of scenery would do us all good. Wiseguy went out to the round pen. Pony stayed in the little guys home pen.
When I went in later to get Tucker, I asked him to back and he did so without much pressure. I told him he couldn't have any grass. I do think his attention was more on me and less on everywhere else.
I put his flysheet on and he took off for the feeder the moment I took off his lead. I shooed him away and then he stood waiting for me in the middle of his home pen. I put his fly mask on, gave him some love and pets on his muzzle and called it good.
I may try to ride later using our old saddle pad set up.
It is break time.
Well, a bit windy, kind of smokey and I am tired from yard clean up and I have to work for two days in a row still this week....I decided to just run Tucker off with the flag at feeding time. I had to do that several times since he has been getting away with "I'm not looking" and not actually moving his feet. Today I got out the flag and said "Move back, buddy."
I think a little respect work will go a long way with a nice character like Tucker  I probably do baby him a little much. I'm pretty sure the cowboy that owned him told him to listen up and fly right  Not in a mean way but in a "I'm the boss " way.
Tucker is acting a little spoiled. Having said that, I believe that Tucker does not like his new blanket/saddle pad combo and I do have a sway back, contoured pad coming in the mail. Should get it next week.
I think a couple of days off with a bit of groundwork might be best anyway. I've been pushing myself hard and maybe Tucker is feeling my tiredness.
That is just an adorable photo of Cash the Giant Rat Terrier helping me with Tucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment