Monday, January 2, 2012

What am I Reading?

I just finished Memoir of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I felt like I was transported back to another time and place.  The way the women were treated is just heart breaking.  Life was hard in the early twentieth century for poor girls in Japan.

I like this book a lot.  It did have some sad stuff about the geisha girls lives. Sold as a young girl to a geisha house in Kyoto, she is beaten into submission, rescued from certain oblivion into the cheap sex trade and fights her way to the top with the help of another geisha.  She lives with a rival that hates her and is devious and cunning. Our heroine does overcome much and there is a happy ending.  The action occurs from pre-WW II through some fifty or so years and ends on the streets of New York city.

No comments:

Post a Comment