Sunday, December 4, 2011

What's Cooking?

Yesterday we had Elk Stir-fry with homegrown veggies - corn, snap peas, Italian green beans, bok choi, white onions and garlic.  I threw in the last of the alfalfa sprouts. They were left over from the elk burgers we had yesterday.

The elk burgers have been delicious.  They are a meal all by themselves with a bun, cheese, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and Miracle Whip [hubby] or mayonnaise and ketchup [that would be me].  Topped with savory bacon.

For the stir fry, I also had the last of the celery from making stuffing for the turkey and I used a store bought carrot, as well.  I spiced the oil with oriental peppercorns, pulled the peppercorns out and threw them away.  Then I used some of our homegrown cayenne peppers and the onions and stir fired the meat using olive oil.  Taking the meat out and putting it to one side, I added  a little more oil then, one at a time, carrots, celery, green beans, snap peas, bok choi, garlic, corn.  Finally the alfalfa sprouts.  Each one got a minute to cook, more or less, before adding the next item.

I stirred the meat back into the mix, added some soy based sauce and a little dried ginger.  I always forget to buy fresh ginger when I am at the store but now that it is stir fry season I will have to try harder.  Done.  And was it goood!  Hubby got to take a bit in his lunch as left overs.  Of course we served that with some jasmine rice.

I made a smoothie with frozen/thawed watermelon from the garden last summer and strawberries, lemon juice,  a bit of sugar and a couple of scoops of protein powder.  Finally, some ice cubes to blend it all together into a smooth cold concoction.

Today, another stir fry since that package of meat was a bit large for two people.

More important,  chocolate chip cookies.  I like the classic cookies with real chocolate chips and real butter.  I am using pecans since not only do they taste great but I think I need to use them up so I can buy a bag of this years crop during the holiday sales.

Here's to simple, great tasting home cooking from the garden.  Not to mention from our own efforts to go out and have a successful hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment